Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Being Followed

Have you ever felt like you're being followed?

To be completely honest, I've never truly felt like I was physically followed by a person (maybe I've blocked this out?), but I've often times felt (and feel) like I'm followed by words. For those of you who know me, you know I like to call these "signs". Lately, I have been followed by this Scripture Verse. It seriously pops up everywhere! (Including on the wall art in Sarah's house...hey wait a second, I bought that for her! Hmm...).

Philippians 4:8-9 (English Standard Version)

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.


It is very easy to fall into the trap of focusing on the things that are ugly or negative or that cause us to fret and worry and obsess. I know many times my mind traps me into focusing on the negative or the worldly or the frustrating. Because we have a heritage of sin, this type of thinking can easily become our "default" and it's exactly the type of thinking and focus that sin and satan want us to have -- it's the type of thinking and focus that squeezes peace from us, separates us from God and keeps us from living the lives we were intended to live.

God urges us through His Holy Word to TRANSFORM our minds so that we think and focus on the honorable, the just, the pure, the lovely, the commendable, the excellent and the praise-worthy. Not only does He urge us to think and focus on these things, but He urges us to PRACTICE them. He desires them to be our new "default." And when we adjust our minds to think and focus on all that is good, and practice all the things that are good, He promises that His peace will be with us.

I know that when I put my focus and practice on things apart from the honorable, the just, the pure, the lovely, the commendable, the excellent and the praise-worthy, my life is anything but peaceful. To be completely honest, I've wondered during these times why my life felt out of control. Duh, Kelli. It was right there all along.

This Scripture had to consistently follow me for a few weeks (Scripture Stalking? LOL!) to really settle in, get my attention and remind me where to put, practice and keep the focus of my heart. Funny, had my focus fully been there already, I doubt it would have taken that long. But that's a blog for another day, I suppose. Today, I pray that God's words find you and settle into your heart forever. I pray that we all break free from the bondage of our minds to focus and practice the ways that bring God's peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment