Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hormones and Calling the Doctor

I've decided that I am going to do my very best and pray every day for the good Lord to give me the Fruits of His Spirit so that I'm a nice person when I'm a mother. I know that hormones fluctuate and make a person a bit edgy with the whole pregnancy and birth and post-birth experiences (trust me, feel 'em every day), but there really is no excuse for general meanness due to hormones, lack of sleep or any other phenomenon. Take the grocery store, for example. There was a lady pulling a shopping cart (also known as a "carriage" around these parts) behind her and pushing a stroller in front of her down the cereal aisle at the same time. I was pushing my cart in her direction and felt so bad for her that I stopped and smiled at her. I wanted to help her out, so my plan was to watch which way was she was going to go (cause she was ALL over the place) and then I was going to go the opposite direction so that she could have the easiest route. It truly was all about her. Well, she stopped, gave me a dirty look and said in a very rude way, "Don't think I'm moving two carriages around you." Seriously, I think the people in the ice cream section could here me gasp! I politely said, "I had no intentions of making you go around me. I was waiting for you so that I could go around you." And I moved on. At this point, MY hormones decided to surge and I didn't know whether I should cry or give her a lecture about being rude. So, I'm deciding to pray for Fruits of the Spirit, especially when my hormones want me to act otherwise. I'm sure I'll need quite a few attitude checks, but I think it's a terrific goal.

Additionally, I've decided that it's useless to call the doctor when I'm worried. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE our doctor's office, but I get much much more out of Googling the information myself and making a generalized diagnosis/hypothesis. Before everyone gets all worried, I've been a Google doctor for years (right, Joe?) and am pretty skilled at it. Also, as a disclaimer, this will never take the place of medical advice OR my gut feelings OR a major medical emergency, EVER. It's just that the 3 times I've called the doctor, I've talked to a very nice nurse who asked me multiple questions and when she got to the "Are you bleeding?" question and I answered "No", the phone call was over. So BASICALLY, what I've heard 3 times is that they only really care if I'm bleeding. So unless I start bleeding, or some other very strange thing happens, I'll just continue to Google my issues because I know what the office will say.

And there you have it.

3 comments:

  1. Be careful with Google. It can make you go crazy. Call a fellow momma friend or your doc if you have any concerns at all. Thats how they get to know you and you have a nice peace of mind. They will never think your silly because they hear it all the time. Being a new mom is hard. You don't know what to expect so just take it day by day and when in doubt, call your doc, not Google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - Congrats!!!! We are so excited for you. You are going to adore being a mommy. There isn't anything better.
    I am google doctor too :) Got me through 2 pregnancies. I never called the OB once, so guess google knows what they are talking about!
    Good luck with the next 23 weeks. Enjoy the 2nd trimester. It is the best. When the 3rd strikes, you will be tired again and will have to pee every hour at night. It is all worth it though! And it is true, you forget all about it once the little one arrives. I never thought I would have a 3rd, but I think I could one day.
    Toodles!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friends Sarah and Julie are right. Call a momma friend first and if you must troll the 'net, only used truly reliable medical sites, otherwise you'll freak yourself out (like I did and had to give up internet doctoring altogether) And the 2nd trimester is FREAKIN' AWESOME...enjoy it. I hope to see you guys in MI someday!

    ReplyDelete