Can a decade be considered an era? For this post, I think it shall. Welcome to my "Ending of An Era".
I am a new follower of The LPM Blog (Beth Moore and her Daughters' Blog), and Amanda, Beth's oldest daughter, just turned 30. She posted a really neat entry about her 20s and I decided to copy her idea (Thanks, Amanda). In just one week, I'll be 30, and I truly am so excited! But before we run ahead to this November 1st, let's take a quick jog down memory lane...
20: This was the year that started to change it all. I was in college, having a wonderful time, but at the same time, making decisions that were hard. Though they were hard decisions, I knew that ultimately, they were what God wanted of me. I was a Junior, past my days of being an RA (thank goodness!) and living the suite life with Carrie, Sarah, Cassie and Trevor. No, Trevor did not live with us, sillies! He just came to hang with us crazy girls. Hours were spent in the caf and on campus, just being crazy and fun (and of course, studying...). I was starting to come to grips with the fact that the Lee Honors College WAS going to be just for early class registration, and I was thinking toward the future. I think I did a lot of growing this year amidst the fun, but it was a pretty intense year. This was also the year I wrote my first song and did my first pageant.
Who knew one little pageant could change a whole decade? LOL.
21: Ahh, sweet, sweet 21. I was showered with 21 gifts from my parents and was living the life in the scary, yet lovable Carriage Green Apartments with Sarah and Laura. We grew a lot, us girls. Some of that year seems to be a blur, but I remember it was blessed with many, many friends and memories. One of my favorite memories was our Christmas tree ornament-making party. Or maybe it was that time I ate WAY too many orange Popsicles and acted out Disney's version of "Aladdin"?? Eh, that one's a toss up. I do know my best memory definitely was NOT getting hit on I-94 by two cars and a semi truck during a blizzard. Yeeeeeeahhh, that really happened. What else? Ah, yes. I was honored to be WMU Homecoming Queen that year. Now THAT was a fun day! Perhaps one of the BEST days! I went to Miss Michigan that June and debuted my show-stopping performance of "Swannee". Ah, the moments we'd like to forget. It's a wonder they ever let me back.
22: I lived with Carrie and Laura in even SCARIER apartment. I think I probably kept the heat at 100, because heat was free, so right now I feel the need to apologize for making it permanently July in our apartment. Sorry! I did my student teaching and graduated in December with my BS and subbed the rest of the year around Kzoo. I think that was the summer I worked at Jack's meat market. Oh, the memories!! I found out I got into every other school EXCEPT UNC and so I signed papers to stay at Western Michigan University for Graduate School. Not getting into UNC was one of the most wonderful doors God closed in my life.
23: This was my first year of grad school at WMU with Pam in Hunter's Ridge. We took pictures of our first day of school, hosted study parties, and hosted more "Bachelor" parties than study parties. Kristi and I went to Miss Michigan together. She made me so proud by being 4th runner up and gave me one of the best memories of my life. 23 was a great year.
24: This was last year of grad school at WMU with Pam in Hunter's Ridge. We pulled neighbors off ledges (true story), hosted more "Bachelor" parties and grew sad that our time was almost up. We graduated with our MAs along with the best class EVER in April, and in June, friends and families cheered me on in Muskegon when God blessed me with the job of becoming Miss Michigan. These friends and family cheered me on in Atlantic City, where God told me, "You did what you came to do", and then God and I hit the road back in Michigan, speakin', sangin' and servin'. I cut my hair super super short right before I turned 25. That was both liberating and nuts.
25: I turned 25 almost a month after returning from Miss America. 25 was a wonderful year and a hard year. I learned a lot about myself, life, love and being who I was meant to be. It's hard for me sometimes to look back on that year, and it's beautiful for me sometimes to look back on that year. There's just something about being 25...
26: I moved out to LA, California, with Whitney and Megan in an amazing apartment and was still trying to figure out this crazy thing called life! I started my first job as an SLP with the most wonderful private pediatric clinic. I started attending Saddleback Church and found a great small group of girls. I had some major, we're talking MAJOR, spiritual moments. I wrote songs. I started writing books. I wrote devotionals. I liked being "away". I joined eHarmony and had a pretty bad experience. But I grew. And life was good.
27: I lived in the same apartment in LA with Whitney and Kim. We had a great time together. I traveled overseas a few times. At Bible Study one night in September, God told me to move home to Michigan. So I did. I moved in with my sister in January and started work in Oxford. I told myself I was only staying for a while, but God had other plans. I bought a puppy (I returned him). I had the honor of being Maid of Honor in my baby sister's wedding. I got a big brother (I kept him).
28: Ah, 28. I finally gave up and unpacked my things and settled into Michigan. I had my own apartment for the first time in life and sort of enjoyed being a hermit. I enjoyed my job and loved being around my friends. I made some good decisions and some I wish I could take back. I learned that walking away from what you know is wrong is the best thing you can do. God took me to Florida for two weeks by myself and He used that time, and people around me, to bring me all the way where He wanted me. I went out to dinner with a 90-year-old man. I enjoyed the summer with my family and friends, and I enjoyed being ME. After many years of walking the road before me, I finally felt like that little girl who just sat on God's lap and smiled, and life was good. I started a new job in Troy. I ran my first 8-mile race. After four years, I logged back into eHarmony with the intent of deleting my old profile. Instead, I signed up for a free weekend... and I met David.
29: The weekend of my 29th birthday was the weekend I met David in person for the first time. He arrived in Detroit on Oct. 30th, and when he walked through the airport doors, I knew he was the one. You see, I had a dream years ago about my wedding day. I saw everything about the groom: the hair, the walk, the demeanor, but no face. Watching him walk through the doors was like reliving that dream (except David had a face! :)). My 29th birthday was the first day he kissed me and my 29th year was filled with wonderful memories and a proposal. I ran a half marathon and moved from Michigan to CT and did about everything in between. I became an Aunt for the first time and I had the honor of standing beside my baby brother as he got married. I got a new baby sister (I kept her too). I bought a house with David, we're planning our wedding and we're praying for our future. I'm learning how to be the best partner I can be for him, and I even learned to cook a little bit. I'm learning what it REALLY means to be loved, and I'm know that I'm the most blessed girl on the face of the earth.
Well, friends, it's been a great decade. It truly, truly has. 30 is going to come in like a BANG! I can't wait to see what the next 10 years have in store for me and my (almost) new little family. Here's to God, and all He has planned! As I told Him in my 20s, may I be willing to go wherever He takes me...
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your mind literally scares me. When I turn 30, I'll be lucky to remember the period of time from 29 and 11 months to 30. It will go a little something like this, "Eh...I graduated from college, got a job, got married, had a kid." :) You forgot a few choice memories (aka Cheezits and humping me on a bicycle built for two) but all in all, a good summary. Thirty, flirty and THRIVING!
ReplyDeleteThe decades really change us. Next month my hubby will turn 40. In 2 years it will be my turn to leave leave this 30-something decade behind and begin the new venture of the 40-somethings. I think it will be easier to do, if I've accomplished the things I've wanted to accomplish the last ten years, but so many monkey wrenches have been thrown at me, that I feel like a failure and disappointment that I haven't been able to change some of the things I wanted to change bothers me. I am my worst critique, and I know I'm hard on myself. I'm one of those people who is so driven and independent that God sometimes has to remind me that he's the one in charge, not me.
ReplyDeleteCame across your blog through your comment on the LPM blog... best wishes on your upcoming birthday and your upcoming wedding!!!!
ReplyDeleteBy the way - how do you like the Daniel study? I am currently doing the Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place study, and it's great... we are thinking of doing Daniel, or Living Beyond Yourself in the spring...
HI, Megan! So fun to see you here. I LOVE the Daniel study. I feel very strongly in certain ways about the end times, and this was a perfect study to learn about the prophecies. I am really get a lot out of it. Let me know what you ladies decide!
ReplyDeleteWow, I will also be 30 in Nov and your blog made it cry. I am fan of you because my sister in law was Miss Kzoo after you I think. Best wishes on your mariage.
ReplyDeleteThis was great! I loved reading it, thanks for sharing. I think your 30s will be your best years yet! I have only been thirty for a little over a month and I think being 30 isn't too bad at all!
ReplyDelete