Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yoga

So... as 7:00 p.m. approached, I got a text from David saying he was going to Yoga. I missed him and I was tired of working, so I decided to go as well. I had done "Yoga-ish" things once or twice before, so I was prepared for a series of poses, etc., etc. Notsomuch.

First of all, the room was packed which made me a little self-conscious since I had to put my mat in the middle of everyone. My rear in the air for all to see was not really what I had planned for the evening. I had little time to think about this, however, as the instructor entered and started the class.

We started off with a series of "ohm" chants. Hahaha! I thought that was just for the movies! Needless to say, I did not participate in that because I did not know if we were "ohming" to some kind of god and I wasn't going there. And then they did this whole chant of "thanks" to the "one who gave us Yoga years ago"... um, yeah, not participating in that, either. Not on your life.

After I stood like a mute for the first 10 minutes, the instructor started into the constant-changing type of Yoga that was on the menu for the night. I'm super flexible, so it was easy and I was feeling so proud of myself. I thought for a second, "This is so cinchy!", and then, as is usual after a bout of pride, I was humbled. I realized that I was supposed to be holding myself in a plank position on some of the stretches and I was laying on the floor instead! Hahahaha. Oh yeah, and they totally did that Rafiki pose, and it took everything in me to not start singing "It's the Ciiiiircle of Liiiife!".



The rest of the session went fine. I enjoyed the "lay on the mat for 5 minutes" part at the end. After the "lay on the mat for 5 minutes" part, they did more "ohming", which of course, I did not lend my voice to.

All in all, I feel stretched, but after tonight's and some more research on the history of Yoga, it's definitely  not for me. David just got home and said it's not his thing either. I'm not a mind reader, but I could have predicted that one. :) We will, as David says, just "take spin class to our heart's content."

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahaha! Kelli, I must confess that you're braver than I am. While I can do my 10 minute McDonald's yoga videos in my living room (well, used to), I sure as heck won't go to a class like that! Good for you for trying!

    ReplyDelete