Ecclesiastes tell us there is a time for everything.
A time to be overwhelmed with sadness. Miss your friends. Miss your family. Mourn poverty and disease. Mourn abuse/mistreatment of children. Mourn loss. Mourn sickness. Mourn the state of the world. Mourn that others are mourning.
And to mourn so much that you cry over a zebra contained in a petting zoo?
What goes on in a heart?
Life, to me lately, is just so much sadness.
And mostly, I feel guilty for this because I have so much.
Ever feel like that?
I have. A lot, actually.
I asked God today what on earth I could possibly do. How on earth could I possibly help anyone when there is so much help needed? When I have no skills that seem to be useful in helping? I know others have asked this question. They have gone on to do what I consider to be very mighty things: built orphanages, opened maternity homes, established charities, fed the hungry, helped the sick, opened shelters. They have been led to these amazing callings.
I don't necessarily feel that. Or know how to do that. It's honestly very overwhelming to me.
I am not often this vulnerable, but I have to wonder if maybe vulnerability is a road that leads to grace and mercy? I think back on my life, and it was people's most vulnerable moments that have shown me how to live. REALLY LIVE. It was people's most PAINFUL experiences that have shown me the true power and love of Jesus. It was my most painful experiences that have led, and still lead me, straight to the Heart of God.
And as I sat in my car today, a complete, vulnerable mess of a person over the state of so much sadness inside and around me, I asked, somewhat desperately, "What can I possibly contribute to help the people who are hurting?" God, in a very simple way, told me..."YOU HAVE WORDS. TELL THEM. I AM MIGHTY TO SAVE."
I've sung these lyrics, "My God is Mighty to Save," a hundred times over on Sundays and youth groups across my life. And somehow, all these years later, deep in all this pain, I understand it so much better. There is no hope other than God. There is no power greater than God. There is NOTHING that can save anyone or anything... but God.
There are a lot of people who are uncomfortable about God. Hate Jesus. Make fun of Christianity. Mock Biblical principles. Hate what I could write about things. Here's the honest truth: I don't want to be hated. I don't want what I love to be hated. I don't like to talk about things that make people uncomfortable. At all. The thought honestly makes me sick. Terrified, even.
But when you are in the pit of sadness and you come to understand the only saving grace, the only hope, the only "out" is the magnificent Creator of the Universe? How can you not share that?
I could think of a million reasons why not to share. Most of them are self-preserving. And that in itself is sickening.
Because there are millions of people who are hurting and there is an ETERNITY of reasons why the grace, hope, love, forgiveness and sovereignty of God are the most important things ever to share.
Please join me as I explore humanity and the Creator of everything. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing or saying, but I promise to be real. To share ups and downs and joys and sorrows. To explore how God is the only real hope in this crazy life. To share my story. I invite you to share your stories. To love on others. To do this big mess together. Because there IS One Who is MIGHTY TO SAVE.
-Kelli
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yay awesome!! Keep asking and seeking and you WILL receive answers in whatever way you believe He speaks to you, He will!! Its awesome to hear testimonies and be in community for the very reason that its good to know that you're "not the only one" or your "not alone"! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are doing SO MUCH just in writing these words and putting them out there for others to read. May God continue to bless you and give you His words!! (And now I just keep singing "Mighty to Save" in my head over and over and over... :)
ReplyDelete